In our shop, we are told by our customers that their puppies are chewing everything. we are always asked whether puppies should be chewing. Is it normal? How can I stop him from chewing the wrong things? What can I give him to chew? What is the best chew for my pup?
So why do puppies chew?
- Using their mouth is a way of exploring the world, just like infants and toddlers do.
- When a child’s first teeth are coming through they need to chew on something to relieve the discomfort, and so do puppies.
- Separation anxiety from their mother or from their new family if left alone for any length of time. Remember, they have just been taken away from their familiar doggy family
So what can I do about it?
- Always be gentle and kind to your pup, remember, he is still learning what is expected of him
- Put your stuff away so the pup cannot get hold of what he is not supposed to
- Give them something appropriate to chew on and supervise him
- Remove the object that they shouldn’t have from their mouths and give them something more suitable to chew on
- Play with them
- Teach them basic commands as this uses up a lot of energy
So why do dogs chew?
- Some dogs have a natural urge to chew and gnaw
- Chewing is nature’s way of keeping jaws strong and teeth clean
- Anxiety -This could be separation anxiety for its pack (yes, that’s you!)
- Boredom & frustration
- Dogs that chew may also be scavenging for food (as in garbage raiding), motivated by odour
- Dogs that are confined in areas where they are insecure may dig and chew in an attempt to escape.
What can I give my pup or dog to chew on?
- Raw meaty bones (no cooked bones)
- NZ natural dehydrated chews
- Interactive treat toys
- Tough chew toys
- For summer freeze ice cubes full of goodies
What can I give my pup if it is stressed or anxious?
- Holistic blends for stress & anxiety
- Aromatherapy blend for anxiety
What products must I stay away from?
- Please read the ingredient list of products coming from China and other countries. Rawhide for example is a no-no. Rawhide is inedible, it’s only meant to be chewed, and not swallowed. When dogs swallow pieces of rawhide, they sometimes swell up somewhere along your dog’s GI tract and can cause digestive issues like vomiting, diarrhea, or pancreatitis. What dog only chews and does not swallow?
- Food products that have been processed. IE. Changed from a single protein source and manipulated into something else.
- Products with sugar or salt or seasoning.
- Products that have other things added such as dyes, preservatives, additives, etc.
- If it says “Natural” on the label, look a little closer. Some manufacturers put “natural” on the label while adding low-quality ingredients you’ll find in the cheap treats.
I will give you more info on unhealthy products in a separate blog.
Always read the list of ingredients on the product. Your pups chews should be as natural as possible.
We have a wide variety of NZ natural products in our range to suit all ages and sizes of dogs, so if you would like some help choosing the right product for your pooch then click the button below and get in touch.