Pizzles! What are they?
When a new customers visits our shop we are often asked “what is the best natural chew for our dog?”
Before we answer, we ask a few questions.
- The dogs age
- The dogs size and weight
- The breed or mix
- Whether the chew is for indoors or for outdoors
- What kind of chewer is she or he. IE. Will chew all day, for a little while or somewhere in between
This helps us to determine whether a medium, hard or very hard chew is suitable.
In our store there are always a variety of chews suitable for every dog. Once we have given you the choices, the rest is up to you.
So back to Pizzles
What is a pizzle? Well, the word pizzle is an old English word for penis, derived from Low German pesel or Flemish Dutch pezel, diminutive of pees, meaning ‘sinew’. The word is used today to signify the penis of an animal, chiefly in Australia and New Zealand.
Pizzle is made from 100% beef muscle.
If people have never come across a pizzle before, it is funny to see the reactions when we tell them. If children are around we try to be careful how we explain what it is.
When people find out that bull chews are made from beef pizzle, their reaction is usually “Really? I must tell my friends” with a big smile on their faces.
It might seem a little odd to us, but dogs love pizzles because of the strong flavor and taste.
So if your dog likes to chew and you are not keen on giving him bones the a bull chew is a great long lasting, healthy treat.
Are bull chews healthy?
Bull chews are a safe treat for dogs, they offer a variety of health benefits, and give your dog something challenging to chew.
Bull chews are easily digestible, which means that they break down easily in your dog’s stomach. They also don’t splinter so you don’t have to worry about broken off pieces.
In addition to their high digestibility, bull chews are a tasty, single-ingredient treat from high-protein beef muscle, and are ideal for your dog.
Want to keep your dog’s smile healthy?
Bull chews are good for that, too! you can use them as a way to help maintain clean teeth.
Given that inflammation of gums (periodontal disease) is one of the most common diseases in dogs, tough chews are an important part of keeping your dog healthy. These chews support healthy teeth and gums because the chewing and gnawing required to get through the treat scrapes away plaque and buildup before it has the chance to stick.
They are a diverse chew
Bull chews are healthy treats, but more importantly, dogs love them! Dogs of any breed, age, or size can enjoy chewing on a bull chew. They’re even perfect for puppies, as long as your puppy can chew hard food/treats on his own, they provide the same high protein and dental health benefits.
So what is the best bull chew for my dog?
In store and on our website we have bull chews of different thicknesses, sizes, and shapes to suit every dog.
We have four different sizes of pizzles in store and on our website.
- The Steer Pizzle – A slimmer pizzle suitable for smaller dogs and puppies (approx 15cm long). Click here https://catsanddogs.co.nz/shop/steer-chews/
- The steer Danish – A slimmer pizzle rolled into a danish shape suitable for smaller dogs and puppies. Click here https://catsanddogs.co.nz/shop/steer-danish-chews/
- The Bull Chew Plait – A thicker, challenging chew for medium to large dogs (approx 15cm). Click here https://catsanddogs.co.nz/shop/bull-chew-plaits/
- Bull Chew – A long thicker, challenging chew for medium to large dogs (approx 30cm). Click here https://catsanddogs.co.nz/shop/bull-chews-300mm/
Written by Bev Saunders with the help of Monty the dog!
Managing Director of The Cats & Dogs Dinner Company